Six Solutions for Head to Toe Beauty
Whether you’re after a total beauty refresh or would love new tips for specific beauty concerns, these six fab fixes are the perfect place to start.
- Necks need skin care, tootsies Start today by using your daily face care — moisturizer, night treatment and broad-spectrum SPF 30-plus — on your neck, too. Be sure to do the front, sides and back of the neck, and apply all creams in upward strokes, from bottom to top. Curb “tech neck” (the sag and creases caused by hunching over your smartphone, laptop, Kindle or iPad) by holding the phone up to your face and sitting up straight when you work, shop online or read. Remember, not all anti-aging tips come in a jar!
- Make your décolletage matter The skin between your neck and breasts is thin, vulnerable and a magnet for sun damage. The good news is your chest — like facial skin — responds quickly to ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, peptides, niacin, antioxidants and botanicals that plump up lines, restart collagen production, soothe and smooth. So extend your daily facial skin care and broad-spectrum sunscreen right down to the top of your bra. If possible, try sleeping on your back, too. Side and stomach sleepers risk increased crinkling, crepe-like creasing. A contoured back-sleeper pillow helps you stay put and comfy or place a pillow under your knees to prevent middle-of-the-night rollovers.
- Scrub Your Way To Softer Lips Using a lip scrub is one of the easiest DIY beauty hacks. With these natural ingredients, not only will you have softer, tastier, and more kissable lips (who doesn’t want that?), but you will also have the amazing taste of sugary lemon in your mouth…talk about yummy! To make the scrub, mix 1 1/4 cup sugar with 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container (like a mason jar with lid) in the fridge to have a lip scrub on hand for all those unexpected kissable moments. The chilled scrub will give you a delightful thrill.
- Soften dry, ashy arms and legs Change up your bath or shower routine to counteract the visible results of slowed cell turnover, oil production and circulation. Choose body washes and lotions infused with rich, emollient shea butter and botanical oils like almond or coconut. Apply moisturizer while skin is towel blotted, but still damp, to lock it in. Exfoliate flaky spots when needed — after washing but before hydrating — with a gentle body polish. For an at-home treatment, the combo of sugar or coffee plus shea butter and botanical oils buffs elbows, knees and shins.
- Keep hands groomed and glam One thing we love…stacking rings and bracelets. To pull this look off properly, our hands need to be smooth and moisturized. To fight the look of dry skin (and for later in life, those brown spots), we need to take action now! Always apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen SPF 30-plus daily, even while driving, under a canopy or umbrella, or just sitting in front of a window. Keep a tube of hand cream at every sink and a travel-size one in your bag. And finally, wear colorful polish to draw attention to manicured nails. They’re as eye-catching and attention-getting as a red lipstick is to your smile.
- Show feet some love They’ve carried us around all over town, been stuffed into high heels and pointy toes, and been subjected to blisters, cracked heels, corns, and calluses. Pamper your tootsies at home with soaks and daily creams to soften calluses and tough skin. Slather clean feet with petroleum jelly or any emollient balm or cream, and slip on a pair of clean cotton socks before bed twice a week. Not sexy, but it works to renew your passion for sandals and slides. Buy gel insoles for all your shoes and treat yourself to salon pedicures for foot health and pretty feet!
From head to toe, try all or some of these natural beauty tips to help ramp up your healthy beauty regime!